Knowledge Management Program for Faculty (KMPF)
The vision of this initiative is to build capabilities of faculties of institutions of higher education in the state by integrating ICT and English in their role of creating and dissemination of knowledge and also to equip them in their respective knowledge domain.
- Language Objectives
- To improve proficiency in English and Communication Skills.
- To develop proficiency in Spoken Skills for Teaching-Learning purpose.
- To develop proficiency in academic Reading Skills for Teaching & Research purposes.
- To develop familiarity with Computer Skills and use of internet for Education and Research.
- To develop ICT-based teaching learning tools including multimedia, web based tools and e content.
- To empower faculties to use e resources including e books & e journals for teaching and research purposes with internet specially for knowledge management.
- Developing commitment and integrity towards own profession
- Developing a sense of ownership towards own discipline
- Developing core research interest in one’s discipline and methodology of teaching and research.
- Since knowledge transaction in different domains takes place through ICT, English, it is necessary to equip teachers in ICT and English. It is expected that teachers will develop information technology skills, higher subject knowledge base and English language skills. Further, it is expected that their research output would be quantitatively and qualitatively enhanced.
- In the present educational context, a teacher is a manager of knowledge for and on behalf of the students’ community so that s/he can make her/his students proficient managers of knowledge. It is possible only if all faculties are equipped with proficiency in ICT and English.
- The course has been designed to equip people with basic skills of communication, information technology and functional English. The knowledge of English Language with computer skills would help learners to be more efficient and competent to face everyday challenges.
Background/ Current situation:
The term knowledge in the preceding part of the preface is used in the sense of information without over-sighting that the ultimate destination of information is wisdom and knowledge, the immediate. The pre-requisite of the ultimate destination, however, is a beginning in the form of information. Therefore, the present project is a beginning. It is hoped that the project of such a large-scale would not only have an impact on the educational development of the particular faculty and college, but also at the State level. Moreover, the project would also provide an impetus to the core research skills by encouraging and augmenting e-research activity to the international academic community.
- Organize training for capacity building of faculties
- Preparing material for training
- Cascade model for training and capacity building
Methodology and plan of action:
The Action plan of the project at its first stage would include need analysis so as to prepare suitable syllabus. It will be followed by preparation of study materials. The next stage would involve training of Masters Trainers (MT) who would train MT for every institution. In the end there shall be impact assessment of the project. Also every papers would create his or her blog and participate in writing papers for research. In order to equip the college teachers with soft skills and information technology, training shall be organized by following cascade model. A time table schedule will be developed to cover all teachers in a year. Each teacher in the state is expected to undergo such training within the stipulated period.
Possible delineation of tasks and time schedule:
- Course Plan - Already prepared in case of the first two components
- Course Implementation- Training of the Master Key Trainers at the district levels
- Master trainers to train faculties at the cluster level (CLT) who would train faculties in their college.
- Procedural unit wise training
- Short term- 0 to 6 months- test to find out who needs training
- Create Syllabus at two levels: Basic- introducing Academic English and ICT for U.G Level faculties
- Advanced- train faculties for the higher level in Academic English and ICT at the P.G Level
- The syllabus for both the levels will be prepared, reviewed and published by the KMPF Task force before December 2010.
- Start training the Master Trainers and finalize a training schedule for the entire batch of teachers/ faculties in the State in systematic mode
- Conduct a test for both Academic English and ICT skills so as to assess the success rate of the training program
- Update the syllabus of the KMPF modules and conduct training every 6 months so that the teachers are aware of the developments in the field of Functional English and Academic English
- Promote teachers to be connected through blogs and write research papers; join online discussion boards and collect feedback and rework on areas that need improvement.
- All faculties and other target groups to be trained on a continuous basis every year.
- Training and other methods of intervention to be institutionalized into higher education sector.