Mission Mode Implementation
To provide an Expressway to Higher Education for achieving excellence in the educational ecosystem.
Objectives of MMI Programme:
- To help move from plan to result in a time bound manner.
- To set targets.
- To identify specific action plan to reach the result.
- To follow up with teams.
- To review performance regularly.
- To alter action plan where necessary and make programmes result oriented.
Since the National Policy on Education was announced in the year 1986, focus and emphasis was given laid on quality enhancement in higher education.
Most of the initiatives, particularly educational however well are conceived but they fail to deliver desired results in the absence of their effective /appropriate implementation.
The Department of Higher Education, GOG, Gujarat State, has introduced several Innovative initiatives, which would cover all the Colleges across the State, to bring about quality promotion from various dimensions. Hence, introduction of tool, for ensuring quality enhancement of Institutions through these schemes and initiatives and offering Higher Education was felt. The Department of Higher Education, Gujarat State, made it mandatory for all colleges of the state to get the assessment and accreditation process done by NAAC. This was done with a view to improving the accountability and the quality of education being provided to students enrolled for various undergraduate and post-graduate degree courses in the non-technological sector. Apart from quality improvement, there are also immediate concerns regarding infrastructural facilities, teacher training, human resource management as well as using modern technology for classroom teaching.
However, all these initiatives have to be supplemented with a strong implementation programme, which would ensure not only commencing of the Initiatives, but would also become the ‘quality meter check’ grading the quality of the Institution’s efforts in the march towards excellence. This saw the conceptualisation and the setting up of the MISSION MODE IMPLEMENTATION PROGRAMME.
The quality concerns in Higher Education have intensified in the last two decades due to several factors like the increasing trend of internationalisation or globalisation, the increasing number of courses and student enrolments, the poor ratio of the GER in the state, the expansion of distance and e-learning education, the increasing use of ICT in imparting Higher Education globally, changing funding patterns, increasing presence of Self-Finance institutions, emergence of a multicultural workplace, and the increasing mobility of Faculty, Administrative Personnel and students.
In its efforts to promote and improve upon the quality of education at the Colleges and Universities, the Department of Higher Education first identified a set of criteria, improvements in which could pave the way for quality enhancement. These criteria can be identified as:
- Curriculum Related
- Infrastructure and Teaching Equipment, Technology and ICT in Education
- Faculty Quality
- Employability and relevance to society
- Equity and Access
- Holistic development by nurturing talents
- Evaluation and Research Output
The Initiatives and Schemes developed for bringing substantial quality enhancements in these above criteria can be broadly labelled as:
- Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) – for revamping the entire through Curriculum choices, grades & creditization.
- The National Mission on Education through –Information & Communication Technology (NME-ICT) Project – to promote e content development.
- Knowledge Management Programme for Faculty (KMPF)– to enhance the Quality of Faculty.
- UDISHA – Increase employability through suitable training, increase placement opportunities for students & help bridge the skill gap in the job market.
- SANDHAN (Broadcast of lectures by experts from across the State on specified topics, which will be viewed live by students) – to leverage the use of widen ICT and its access in Education.
- Saptdhara – Holistic development (of Faculty and Students) by nurturing their talents.
- UGC Schemes - To create awareness among colleges and faculties about the range of provisions that fall under UGC Schemes for promoting quality in education and research.